Re: new website: draft 3

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: new website: draft 3
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 01:32:58 -0700

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 03:03:46PM +0100, Mark Knoop wrote:
> At 03:18 on 29 Jun 2009, Graham Percival wrote:
> > > It's looking great. Just one point: it seems oxymoronic to have
> > > "Frequently Asked Questions" in the "Infrequent Use" box.
> >
> > It's not a piece of documentation to which one would refer to
> > often, so I don't think it's an oxymoron.  :)
>
> "Advanced Use" seems most appropriate to me. But I'm not convinced that
> the FAQ as it stands belongs in that box anyway.

The FAQ as it stands will contain only one question -- "why do you
change the syntax so much"... and even then, the answer will
consist of a single link to the AU (where I'll add a section about
this).

All other questions will be added in response to actual frequency
of being asked, starting from a month or two after the new website
is up (i.e. when people are actually looking at the latest docs).

Now that the website and docs are all in texinfo and easily
updatable, I intend on really testing my claim that a FAQ merely
demonstrates problems in the docs.  I intend on having very good
docs (including the website as "docs"), so that means the FAQ
should be minimal.  I'm giving the syntax update a free pass
because that's the most common thing that people who don't use
lilypond ask, and if somebody doesn't use lilypond, we can hardly
expect them to read the docs.  :)

I therefore expect that people will read the FAQ extremely
infrequently.  :)

Cheers,
- Graham