Re: new website: draft 3

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: new website: draft 3
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 06:55:14 +0100

Graham, Mats

I agree the warning about incomplete bars is hard to find - I tried and couldn't until I searched git, and I wrote it!

There is a section in the Learning Manual, section 5.2 When things don't work, which I intend to extend to include help about common errors, obscure error messages or mysterious happenings, like music running off the edge of the page. I'll begin by moving the warning on incomplete bars which is currently in section 1.2.5 in the Notation Reference to LM 5.2, leaving behind a link, of course. I don't think there are more than half a dozen such errors, so this could remove the need for a FAQ altogether.

Trevor

Mats Bengtsson wrote Wednesday, July 01, 2009 2:50 PM

Graham Percival wrote:

I intend on really testing my claim that a FAQ merely
demonstrates problems in the docs.  I intend on having very good
docs (including the website as "docs"), so that means the FAQ
should be minimal.
Why not view the FAQ as part of the docs? Nobody will read the full documentation from the first to the last page, and remember every single fact that's included. Also, different people use very different strategies when searching for information. A good FAQ should provide short answers and link to the full manuals for more information.

To mention one example of a FAQ, I just answered an email that asked why the score line wasn't broken so that the music continued after the end of the page. Currently, the answer to this question is very hard to find in the docs even if you know the answer (very likely a typo in the duration of some note). The only place I could find in the LM is the recommendation to use bar checks in "5.1.1 General suggestions" (but it doesn't mention the symptom). In the NR, the only explicit mentioning of the problem I could find was in "1.2.5 Bars" and some related information can be found in "4.3.1 Line breaking".

However, my main point here is not to rant about the deficiencies of the current docs (since then I would have spent my time much better by rewriting the docs instead of writing this email), but the problem is that even if we add a warning in the LM similar to the one in NR 1.2.5, most users will not remember it from the first time they read the LM, no matter how many bells an whistles, since they don't realize exactly what the problem is until they have experienced it themselves for the first time. Once the user first encounters this problem himself in his own typesetting work, the LM is still far too long to browse through and it's not immediately obvious that the problem is related to bar lines so that you should look in NR 1.2.5. However, if there's a good FAQ with, say, 10 - 20 entries at most, then it's easy for the user to browse it through and quickly find the relevant answer.

As I said, the way you search for information differs from person to person and from situation to situation, so we need to provide lots if different entry points to help people find the relevant information. An FAQ is a very good form for one of these entry points. This will necessarily require some duplication of information (which at least in the early stages of the GDP was a no-no), but since the FAQ should not provide the details but rather point to the other documentation for the long answers, it will not be a large maintenance burden. Other important entry points are the Indexes (are they still separate for the different documents) and the LSR, for example.

  /Mats