Re: hurdles for contributors (was: help wanted, I mean it)

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: hurdles for contributors (was: help wanted, I mean it)
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 02:24:35 +0200

2009/7/11 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> I've bitterly cursed the move to git ever since it happened.  :(
>
> I don't mind asking contributors to learn a bit of texinfo, since
> 95% of the time, they don't need to actually use any texinfo
> commands; they can just edit the text in the file.  And, as
> Jonathan pointed out, the most important thing is the plain text;
> some people (like him) are willing to add any special texinfo
> formatting required.
>
> During GDP, I didn't require people to use git; I provided them
> with texinfo source files.  They edited the files (again, mostly
> just the text, while ignoring the special commands), then I took
> care of the git side.  It wasn't _too_ much work, although I
> wouldn't want to be doing it on a regular basis.  But if there was
> a limited-time X-month project, I might do it again.
>

> Trevor Daniels might have an interesting opinion on this; he's
> another retired British windows user, who started off during GDP
> (and has said on multiple occasions that he would have never
> started contributing if he had to use git).  Now he's on git (he
> wrote the "git on windows" section.

When I started translating, John and you made me to learn git, it was
a requisite IIRC, now I can use git progressively a bit better, and I
use it for my own private projects. I recommend it to all
contributors; for the project it's something like those fidelity cards
on the supermarkets: once you get stuck, it's difficult to move away.

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org