Re: conditionally eliminating lyric extender

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: conditionally eliminating lyric extender
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 23:12:18 +0100

Kieren

I'm not sure I understand the need for this.
Maybe I'm missing something (it wouldn't be
unusual :)

I would not normally use a lyric extender
unless the syllable had an extended duration
over several notes or was sung to a long note.
This occurs far less frequently than a 2-note
melisma.  And this seems to be the standard
practice in the vocal scores I'm familiar with.

Do you attach lyric extenders unconditionally
to every syllable sung to a melisma?

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your
question though.

Trevor

Sent: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 6:34 PM
Subject: conditionally eliminating lyric extender

Hello all,

I want to [automagically] conditionally eliminate lyric extenders when
    (1) the end of the syllable which has the extender is after
[i.e., to the right of] the melisma's last note; and,
    (2) the distance to the following syllable is less than the
minimum extender length [plus some reasonable padding value?].

[Yes, I'm aware of Ross etc. and traditional rules of engraving — I
also know that there are exceptions to every rule, and I think the
one I'm suggesting is reasonable.]

For an example of the current default (v 2.13.3), I've attached a
screenshot of my setting of Shakespeare's "Pardon, goddess of the
night". It should be immediately obvious why I think the default is
not optimal: in the case of "songs" and "Round", I would *definitely* want to eliminate the extender, and I might even want to eliminate it
after "-bout".

My question is, what would be required to fix this?
Can it be done in the .scm files, or does it require a C++ modification?

Thanks,
Kieren.