Re: Accidentals: Unwanted naturals

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Accidentals: Unwanted naturals
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 21:31:29 +0200

Graham Percival wrote:

It sounds like your input contained e-natural and b-natural.  You
probably wanted to write ees and bes in your input file.

Seriously, have you read the tutorial?  If so, why did you skip
over the big warning about accidentals?  This is the second person
recently to not notice that warning; should we make it bigger, or
add a red background, or something?
I think it's more a matter of background knowledge and knowing the English terminology. If you don't know enough music theory to know what an accidental is, the warning might not help, even though we have fairly illustrative examples. Also, in Swedish, for example, the word for "accidentals" is actually used to denote sharps, flats and naturals in general, both when used in key signatures and when used as accidentals, which might increase the risk of confusion.

   /Mats