Re: Accidentals: Unwanted naturals

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: Accidentals: Unwanted naturals
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 11:32:27 +0200

2009/8/31 Reinhold Kainhofer <address@hidden>:
> However, the absolute pitch names a, b, etc. are really absolute pitch names
> and their meaning should never, ever depend on the key signature. Just ask
> anyone music teacher of any level you know...

I think it does worth mentioning the Spanish tradition of not
solmisating the exact pitches but the noteheads alone, so to speak. So
we sing the Beethoven's fifth as "sol sol sol miiiiiiii" (with the
actual sound being g8 g g ees2\fermata), which is confusing, of
course, but it is a deeply rooted tradition.

This makes also far easier and faster to solmisate pieces in D flat
major, for example. I reckon this kind of solmisation is pretty
useless and ambiguous.

As for the allegedly easier input of notes in lilypond if you'd enter
noteheads only the visual way, ignoring the key signature, I must say
that beginners complain strongly when they have to enter heavyly
altered music, of course, but then I "gently suggest" the
'transposing' and the 'actual meaning' arguments and they get disarmed
immediately.

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org