Re: Accidentals: Unwanted naturals

From: Kees van den Doel
Subject: Re: Accidentals: Unwanted naturals
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 07:21:34 -0700

>From: Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden:

> Hi David R,
>
> > AFAIK, all of the graphical-interface music scoring programs
> > use the visually-oriented logic.
>
> The last time I used Finale — which, thankfully, was a very long
> time
> ago! ;) — there were only two ways of entering notes:
>
> 1. From a MIDI keyboard: Clearly, you can't "follow the
> key
> signature" with this method, since pressing a (MIDI) g-sharp
> gives a
> g-sharp, regardless of the key signature.
> 2. Mouse/QWERTY keyboard ("Speedy"?) entry: When you clicked
> on
> (e.g.) the "g-line" of the treble clef, a g-NATURAL
> appeared,
> regardless of the key signature, and you had to scroll up or
> down (or
> click-add an accidental) to change the pitch/alteration.
>
> Is that not still true? Are there any Finale or Sibelius users
> out
> there who can confirm what model these prorgrams use?

Of course these programs operate as you describe. If you edit a piece in G major
and enter the notes through a MIDI keyboard you have to play E F# G, not
E F G, and I can't imagine an other way. Well I can, but it is like playing a
piano with
a "key" setting so that when you hit the F, an F# sounds if you set the G-major
mode.

Kees (An ex Finale user who'll never go back)