Re: Codas / Trios

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: Codas / Trios
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 19:49:59 +0000

In message <address@hidden>, David Pounder <address@hidden> writes

------- Original Message -------
From: Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden>
To: David Pounder <address@hidden>
Sent: 25.10.09, 13:28:05

Hi David,

> The ideal solution would be for da capo, dal segno and codas to be
> handled (somehow) by the \repeat and \unfoldRepeats constructs

Agreed.

> wishful thinking?

Not really... this is open source software!  ;)
    1. Anything that can be done "manually" can be automated with
Scheme.
    2. Anyone could provide a patch to the base code that would do
what is necessary without a macro.

The only question is, who will write the macro(s) and/or patch(es)?

Cheers,
Kieren.

I suppose I asked for that :)

I'll go and read the contributor's guide, but I think I may be out of my depth as I haven't touched functional programming for decades...

But from my (the OP) point of view, that's quite likely not much use ... because the piece I'm setting it isn't a coda. It's just that the coda example does pretty much what I want.

To summarise my current problem, I want to stop the staff, put text where the staff would be, then resume the staff. I've got it working roughly as I want, but because the staff takes priority I need to put spacer rests in to make room for the text. And if lily compresses the music to make it fit, suddenly there's no room for my text and it gets bumped out of the way :-(

Actually, I think it's the clef that's the problem, when I put a clef in, it collides with the text and bumps the text out of the way. Actually, that's probably why \longTextOn didn't work - it's probably not meant to work with clefs! Is there any setting that will make text take priority over a clef and push the clef out the way?

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman - address@hidden