Re: GUI

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GUI
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 23:57:27 +0000

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 05:47:49PM -0600, Tim McNamara wrote:

> On Dec 17, 2009, at 2:48 PM, Graham Percival wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 8:23 PM, Kees van den Doel <address@hidden>
>> wrote:
>>> Of course, most people do not know what an "editor" is, except
>>> as some guy that puts articles in newpapers.
>
> He's not necessarily wrong.  Most computer-using people are familiar
> with "word processor" but "text editor" is unknown to many (they will
> call it a word processor instead).  Heck, most computer users have
> little understanding that a Word file and a text file are not the same
> thing.

I know.  I began as a documentation writer.  I've been reading (or
occasionally skimming) every single email on all the lilypond
mailing lists since 2002.  With all that knowledge of the
challenges that beginners face, I spent approximately 100 hours
working on the new website.

Is it perfect?  No, of course not.

Have I done something so abismally stupid as to assume that my
mother knows what a "text editor" is, or what "compiling" means?
No.  And make no mistake, the prime audience in my mind when
writing the Introduction on the website was my mother.

I invite people -- I've *been* inviting people for months -- to
look at the new website.  If you can suggest an improvement,
especially in the Introduction pages, please do.

Pretend that you've never heard of lilypond.  Does the webpage
answer the questions, or present the information, that you wanted
to know before you got involved?

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/web/index.html

- Graham