Re: tempo text

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: tempo text
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 16:01:51 +0100

Hi Gerard,

2010/1/18 Gerard McConnell <address@hidden>:

> Hello,
> I'm sure this is in the docs somewhere;
> I've checked the index, sections 4.4 & 4.5, and the
> snippets list, but I can't figure out how to write some
> text (\markup?) above the clefs.

Well, actually there is a bug with MetronomeMark (\tempo) which
prevents to align it "the right way" (i.e. left-aligned on time
signature for \tempo "text").

See:
684: Enhancement: MetronomeMark should support break-align-symbols
and the discussion "Tempo mark alignment"
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2009-05/msg00521.html

2010/1/18 Dmytro O. Redchuk <address@hidden>:

> I believe you can use \markup and take a look at selected snippets here:
>
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/notation/writing-text#text-marks
>
> ("Aligning marks with various notation objects")

As a workaroud I use this user-defined "TempoMark" command for textual
tempo marks (it is based on RehearsalMark, as suggested by Dmytro):

tempoMark = #(define-music-function (parser location markp) (string?)
#{
 \once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'self-alignment-X = #LEFT
 \once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'break-align-symbols =
#'(time-signature key-signature)
 \once \override Staff.TimeSignature #'break-align-anchor-alignment = #LEFT
 \once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'font-size = #1
 \mark \markup { \bold $markp }
#})

To be used with the following syntax, for example
  \tempoMark "Allegro"

It aligns LEFT on time signature (as I have seen it on numerous
scores).  I use this while still hoping somebody will fix
MetronomeMark.  Is has the drawback that you can't use another
RehearsalMark (\mark) simultaneously.

Cheers,
Xavier

--