Re: Lilypond vs Score

From: David Bobroff
Subject: Re: Lilypond vs Score
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 22:08:58 +0000

On 2/1/2010 9:57 PM, Bobber wrote:
I have been having a discussion with a small publisher who uses the music manuscript program called Score. He says that neither Lilypond or Finale can produce engraving that is comparable to Score. And that most of the major music publishers in the world use Score.

Is anyone familiar with Score and what makes it superior?

I have never used Score myself. I recall that, quite a few years ago, when I was first looking for a music printing program I was advised by the guy behind the counter that Score was The One. I suspect that this was true at the time. I recall reading somewhere that Score was the first software to meet the music publishing industry's standard. Up to that time, published music was either engraved, or manuscript. I have some music in my personal library that was published using Score. I know this because I know the publisher and he told me that he uses Score. When I compare Score output to LilyPond output I would agree that it is not comparable. I think LilyPond looks better. Perhaps I'm a bit biased, but I don't think a strong argument can be put forward that Score is obviously superior. This publisher you've been talking to is likely somewhat biased in favor of Score since he uses/understands it. He's probably right when he says that Finale can't compare (I used to use Finale, but haven't in several years) and he is also probably correct when he says that most major publishing houses use Score. Then again, most large businesses use Windows, too.....

-David