Re: Lilypond vs Score

From: David Stocker
Subject: Re: Lilypond vs Score
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 19:03:03 -0500

Hi Bob,

SCORE is an old program and, while I think it is still being supported, I don't think it's under active development. It's a DOS program and there have been rumors for years of a Windows port, but no one seems to know whether it's happening or not.

While a small number of publishers and engravers still use SCORE, most publishers (and almost all Major Publishers) are now using Finale or Sibelius.

SCORE is notoriously difficult to use (if you believe the people who use it or used to use it) and even now is quite pricey, at US$750.00 It has a reputation for fine control over placement of score elements and can certainly produce some astonishing output configurations (most of which no one would ever need), but I find the look of its output cold and mechanical, even compared with Finale or Sibelius (and certainly when compared to LilyPond).

David

Bobber wrote:
I have been having a discussion with a small publisher who uses the music manuscript program called Score. He says that neither Lilypond or Finale can produce engraving that is comparable to Score. And that most of the major music publishers in the world use Score.

Is anyone familiar with Score and what makes it superior?