Re: Bar line at the point where all voices overflow

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: Bar line at the point where all voices overflow
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 10:36:52 +0100

On 7 November 2010 21:46, Vit Baisa <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
> sorry for probably missleading title, but I didn't know how to describe the
> problem unsing only a few words. :)
> I am typesetting rennaissance music and I am using bar lines between staves.
> It works fine but in situation when notes in all voices in all staves are
> overflowing bar, the bar line is not typeset. I think it is rather good
> behaviour of lilypond but for some reason (not from mine ;) I need the bar
> line to be typeset even in this case.
> The problem is (I think), that there is not a place where lilypond could
> place the bar line. Again - it is very rare situation in my scores and even
> "hack" for it would be great. How e.g. to typeset some vertical line on
> appropriate place - just on place where (if not at least one note overflew)
> bar line would be situated.

Hi,
I do not know that kind of "hack".

But I would play with "Scaling durations" to make LilyPond think all the
staves have the measure that is finished when you want to place your bar line.
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/notation/writing-rhythms.html#scaling-durations

BTW as a musician, I would not know how to play such scores where some
players have more notes (beats) to play than other in the same measure...
Are we supposed to wait the last one that has the higher overflow?
Are you sure it is not an error?

Cheers,
Xavier

--