Re: Bar line at the point where all voices overflow

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Bar line at the point where all voices overflow
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 11:17:43 +0100

Xavier Scheuer <address@hidden> writes:

> On 7 November 2010 21:46, Vit Baisa <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> sorry for probably missleading title, but I didn't know how to describe the
>> problem unsing only a few words. :)
>> I am typesetting rennaissance music and I am using bar lines between staves.
>> It works fine but in situation when notes in all voices in all staves are
>> overflowing bar, the bar line is not typeset. I think it is rather good
>> behaviour of lilypond but for some reason (not from mine ;) I need the bar
>> line to be typeset even in this case.
>> The problem is (I think), that there is not a place where lilypond could
>> place the bar line. Again - it is very rare situation in my scores and even
>> "hack" for it would be great. How e.g. to typeset some vertical line on
>> appropriate place - just on place where (if not at least one note overflew)
>> bar line would be situated.
>
> Hi,
> I do not know that kind of "hack".
>
> But I would play with "Scaling durations" to make LilyPond think all
> the staves have the measure that is finished when you want to place
> your bar line.
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/notation/writing-rhythms.html#scaling-durations

No, that's nonsensical.

> BTW as a musician, I would not know how to play such scores where some
> players have more notes (beats) to play than other in the same
> measure...

They don't.

> Are we supposed to wait the last one that has the higher overflow?
> Are you sure it is not an error?

In Renaissance music, you don't write ties for syncopes crossing the bar
(and writing them would give a false impression of the rhythmic flow).

But it rather common _not_ to write the bar lines _inside_ of the staffs
(where they would have to cross the occasional note), but between the
staffs.  The snippets for ancient music have an example, but I can't
quite figure out what produces the in-between bar lines.

--
David Kastrup