Re: pb with 2.13 with doc example fret diagram

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: pb with 2.13 with doc example fret diagram
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 19:43:41 -0700

On 12/21/10 7:26 PM, "Marc Mouries" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Dec 21, 2010, at 1:28 PM, Carl Sorensen wrote:
>>
>> Well, it's supposed to be the number of semitones above middle C for each
>> open string, starting with the highest string.
>>

> Wow, that's really not self-explanatory but i get why it's needed. However
> I'll have one less argument when my friend tell me that Lilypond is too
> complicated.
> Why not allow people to define tuning with notes, like:
>
> violinTuning = #'(e' a d g)
> guitarTuning= #'(e b g d a e,,)

Well, the short (and dumb) answer is because the notes e' a d g etc. are
lilypond input music expressions, and the string tuning needs to be a Scheme
list.

The next longer answer is probably "because nobody ever thought of it".

> and then have an internal function would compute the distance to from and to
> the middle C?

The final answer is that it will be quite easy to to create a music function
that creates a string tuning object.  How would this syntax be?

\makeStringTuning #'violinTuning {e' a d g}

If this sounds good, I'll have it done in the next day or so.

Thanks for the idea!

Carl