Re: Translation for musical phrase "Niveau-Ü berschreitung" or "Niveau-U

From: Nils Gey
Subject: Re: Translation for musical phrase "Niveau-Ü berschreitung" or "Niveau-Unterschreitung"?
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 11:21:06 +0100

This is not about voice crossing. For something simple like crossing you look
up wikipedia and don't steal time from real humans on a mailing list :)

In German speaking music theory the term "Niveauüberschreitung" is quite
common. A quick google search shows some amateur theory websites about this

http://www.musiktheorie.org/glossar/niveauueberschreitung.htm
http://www.lehrklaenge.de/html/weitere_regeln.html
and others.

To specify I have attached a new image, created by Janek Warchoł.

If we assume Soprano and Alt you can see that there is no voice crossing. On
each chord soprano sings the higher and alt the lower note.
However: Alt first sings c' and soprano e'. Second chord alt sings  a' which is
> e', the former soprano note.
Thats the fact and I need a word for it. Not something made up but an
established phrase I can use in documentation and programs menu-labels.

Greetings,
Nils