Re: New here and first question about using repeat percent over more tha

From: Ben Finney
Subject: Re: New here and first question about using repeat percent over more than two measures
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 11:38:38 +1100

Aurelien <address@hidden> writes:

> \repeat percent X {
>       <first measure>
>       <seconde measure>
>       <third measure>
>       <fourth measure>
> }
>
> but actually, it just prints empy measures in the end. Is there a way
> to fix this, or am I trying to do something that doesn't exist, or
> shouldn't, or whatever?

What would you expect that to render as?

Standard musical notation has repeat a note (thick slash), repeat one
measure (dots around thick slash), and repeat two measures (dots around
two thick slashes on the bar).

There isn't AFAIK any standard musical notation for a more-than-two
measure repeat. So that's why LilyPond doesn't produce anything: there
isn't anything sensible to do by default.

This is usually done with volta repeats, and a text notation above
saying how many times it should repeat. That doesn't help, of course, if
you don't want the other staves in a system to repeat.

So, while this may be a common requirement, it's apparently not common
enough that musical notation has a standard answer.

--
 \     “I am the product of millions of generations of individuals who |
  `\      each fought against a hostile universe and won, and I aim to |