Re: Music in text

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Music in text
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 15:53:41 +0200

2011/5/30 Ralph Palmer <address@hidden>
Greetings, again -

I have a second problem with my long-text-in-a-transcription. I need to include a small piece of music, preferably in line with the text. The original has no clef or lines -- just notes with a slur and articulations. I'm pretty sure I've seen a discussion about this, but I can't find it in the docs, in the Snippet Repository, or in the list archives. Does anyone remember where this might  be?

You mean that you want to remove stafflines etc.?
Maybe you remembered example in the essay:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond-learning/Background#What-symbols-to-engrave_003f ?
I suppose the following example will be useful for you:

\score {
  {
    \clef bass f8 as8
    c'4-~ c'16 as g f e16 g bes c' des'4
  }
  \layout {
    \context {
      \Staff
      \remove "Clef_engraver"
      \remove "Bar_engraver"
      \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
      \remove "Staff_symbol_engraver"

If you encounter strange beams (flat and high), check what happens when you don't remove staffline - notes may be on ledgers and then their beams are calculated accordingly, even if there are no ledgers printed.
For example, see what happens when you remove \clef bass in the above example.

HTH,
Janek