Re: Notation convention: dotted notes, duplet or else?

From: bruys .
Subject: Re: Notation convention: dotted notes, duplet or else?
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 21:05:14 +1000

I would have to agree with the other correspondents here, that there is no one answer.

Conventionally, your 4th example is likely to be used, as it keeps the 3 beats in the measure clear. Generally, dotted notes don't start on the weak part of a beat and extend into the next beat.

However, if the part were playing a consistent cross-rhythm, playing 2 beats against 3 beats in the other parts, then your 1st example (or 3rd, depending on your notation) would be the usual way to do it, as this would make your intentions clear, in this case. This may be related to your idea of there being a tempo relationship.

Your 2nd example is not likely to be used often, as the two ties are fussy without introducing any extra clarity to the beat. But, I can imagine it might be used to visually make a parallel to another part, in rare circumstances.

Regards,
Bruys