Re: Notation convention: dotted notes, duplet or else?

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Notation convention: dotted notes, duplet or else?
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 08:18:17 -0400

Hi David,

> The whole point of hemiolas is to fit with the timing.

Yes.

> Changing the meter ruins the pun.

Only if a "hemiola feel" is what you want.  ;)

> it seems like a crutch for people uncapable of dealing with the duality
> of inner and outer rhythmic structure of a syncopated phrase.

As with most blanket generalizations, I disagree with that statement. [It
reminds me of the extremity of one of my composition professors, who claimed
that all music can be effectively written in 4/8 using accents and other
indications to replicate "downbeats" and the other natural gestural aspects of
music with time signatures — he made me compose all my pieces for him that
way!] I often write (e.g.) a 3/4 measure desiring it to be performed with
syncopation, followed by exactly the same notes/durations in a 6/8 measure
desiring it to be performed "in the beat"; that is, I use the conventions of
notation to get the performers to execute subtleties that would be impossible
through other notational choices.

The issue is analogous to the one with swing notation: does one write triplets,
or dotted-eighth-and-sixteenths, or straight eighths with a text instruction?
It depends on the music, and the precise effect the composer is hoping to
elicit from the performer(s).

So count me as another vote for "there is no single correct answer".

Cheers,
Kieren.