Re: Roadblock MacOSX 10.4 for release of LilyPond 2.16

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Roadblock MacOSX 10.4 for release of LilyPond 2.16
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2012 17:05:35 +0100

Tim McNamara <address@hidden> writes:

> Eventually legacy system support gets broken in every project.
> PPC-based Mac users (of which I am one, we have three PPC based Macs
> that continue to run fine) mostly can update to 10.5.

How expensive is that step?  If the sum is nontrivial, I'd rather see it
in my pocket than Apple's if that is an option (of course, the typical
user considers paying a proprietary vendor a normal operating expense,
and paying a free software developer an insolence, so it is not likely
that I'd be able to divert that sum even if I were able to come up with
a helpful course of action in this or similar cases).

The question is whether this step can then be postponed until the
computer is retired.

> For 10.4 users, I would recommend identifying the most recent version
> of Lilypond that will run on that platform and identifying it on the
> Web site.  This is a standard practice.

Yup.

--
David Kastrup