Re: Printing bar numbers for partial measures

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: Printing bar numbers for partial measures
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 20:10:55 +0100

On 22 February 2012 18:51, Patrick Karl <address@hidden> wrote:
> The Notation Reference states that:  Bar numbers are typeset by
> default at the start of every line except the first line.  And there
> is an official snippet which shows how to get the bar number printed
> even at the first line.  However, there is apparently an issue if the
> first measure on a line is a partial measure, as demonstrated by the
> following snippet:
>
> […]
>
> Here, the bar number is not printed on either the 1st line or on the
> line that contains the initial partial measure from the 2nd volta
>
> Is there a way to get these two bar numbers printed?  And if not,
> shouldn't this be mentioned in the "Known issues and warnings" that
> follow that section of the NR?

Hi Patrick,

Actually Mike Solomon implemented such feature in version 2.15.24.
I don't understand why issue #460 is not tagged as "fixed" since it is.

There is still a minor issue because if I compile your code with
2.15.30 I get the bar numbers in parenthesize (as it is now the default
behaviour for broken bars, but you can easily change it) but the first
partial measure got the number "1", not "0" (other bar numbers are
correct!).  Not sure measure zero is more correct than two times "1" to
my mind though!

I asked this new functionality to be explained in the Notation Reference
but AFAICS it is not.  I'll ask again but the new feature can be easily
understood from the regression test "bar-number-visibility"
http://codereview.appspot.com/5501088/patch/1/2
If you want to help you could submit a doc patch to add it to
NR 1.2.5 Bars > Bar numbers .

Cheers,
Xavier

--