Re: Printing bar numbers for partial measures

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Printing bar numbers for partial measures
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 02:45:59 +0000

On 2/22/12 5:02 PM, "Janek Warchoł" <address@hidden> wrote:

>On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 11:40 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On 22 February 2012 23:18, Xavier Scheuer <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> I need to install git, read the relevant n pages of the CG that
>>> explain the whole procedure for doc additions and the specific part
>>> for adding a new snippet (IIRC is not as easy as correcting a simple
>>> typo in the doc), remind the texinfo stuff, etc.
>>
>> Wrong.  You need to write the text and post it on the developer list or
>> the bug list, [...]
>
>i guess that our policies need some clarification and/or
>simplification then.  It's not good when someone thinks he has to do
>more than there's actually necessary.

Website, under Community/Help Us

Simple tasks

Documentation: small changes can be proposed by following the guidelines
for Documentation Suggestions.

Links to CG 5.2 Documentation Sugggestions, which contains the following:

Small additions

For additions to the documentation,

1. Tell us where the addition should be placed. Please include both the
section number and title (i.e. "LM 2.13 Printing lyrics").
2. Please write exact changes to the text.
3. A formal patch to the source code is not required; we can take care of
the technical details.
4. Send the suggestions to the bug-lilypond mailing list as discussed in
Contact <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/web/contact>.
5. Here is an example of a perfect documentation report:To:
address@hidden
From: address@hidden
Subject: doc addition

In LM 2.13 (printing lyrics), above the last line ("More options,
like..."), please add:

----
To add lyrics to a divided part, use blah blah blah.  For example,

\score {
  \notes {blah <<blah>> }
  \lyrics {blah <<blah>> }
  blah blah blah
}
----

In addition, the second sentence of the first paragraph is
confusing.  Please delete that sentence (it begins "Users
often...") and replace it with this:
----
To align lyrics with something, do this thing.
----

Have a nice day,
Helpful User

No mention of git, Rietveld, or anything similar.

For larger contributions, the suggestion is the following;

Larger contributions

To replace large sections of the documentation, the guidelines are
stricter. We cannot remove parts of the current documentation unless we
are certain that the new version is an improvement.

1. Ask on the lilypond-devel mailing list if such a rewrite is necessary;
somebody else might already be working on this issue!
2. Split your work into small sections; this makes it much easier to
compare the new and old documentation.
3. Please prepare a formal git patch.

Once you have followed these guidelines, please send a message to
lilypond-devel with your documentation submissions. Unfortunately there is
a strict "no top-posting" check on the mailing list; to avoid this, add:
> I'm not top posting.
(you must include the > ) to the top of your documentation addition.
We may edit your suggestion for spelling, grammar, or style, and we may
not place the material exactly where you suggested, but if you give us
some material to work with, we can improve the manual much faster. Thanks
for your interest!

Again, no mention of git or rietveld.

How can we be plainer than this?

Thanks,