Re: musescore lands sponsoring?

From: Rodolfo Zitellini
Subject: Re: musescore lands sponsoring?
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 15:00:03 +0200

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 1:45 PM, Federico Bruni <address@hidden> wrote:
> 2012/5/29 Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden>:
>>
>> Just to make sure you have seen
>>

>> http://www.opengoldbergvariations.org/b-sendorfer-sponsors-open-goldberg-project-providing-concert-grand-ceus-recording-technology-0
>>
>> Wouldn't LilyPond have been a technically superior choice for this
>> sponsoring project?  What are we missing?
>>

> What do you mean with "technically superior"? It's about the output?
> I think it's LilyPond output. Can you confirm?
> http://www.opengoldbergvariations.org/node/191
>
> Maybe you mean that writing a .ly file would have allowed better tweaking?
> (I have no idea of the MuseScore workflow)
>
> Or it's about the input?
> If it's technically superior because it's text-based, I would agree
> with you for a number of reasons.
> In this particular case, there's another benefit: no need to write
> from scratch because Golden Variations are in Mutopia
> http://www.mutopiaproject.org/cgibin/make-table.cgi?collection=bachgb&preview=1
>
> Anyway, I think that the main reason why MuseScore is much more
> popular than LilyPond is simply because it's a GUI program.
> Considering your efforts in Schikkers List, I can imagine that you may
> agree with me.

+1
I think too GUI is the main reason too. I love Lilypond and I use it
for all my projects (I'm trying to setup a small publishing house
which will be lilypond-only), and I'm pushing it strongly for the uni
I'm affiliated with, for the moment without success. We publish a
series of baroque-centered books, and all the layout is done in-house
(no professionals involved) with finale or sibelius. Generally
speaking, my colleagues just want to point-and-click, move around
stuff and so on. It does not matter that what I do in lily
automagically can take hours in finale - when I show the text input
people just go away scared. I tried many times demoing a project
conversion from finale to lily, where you get almost magically a very
nice output. When people learn they cannot click and move stuff on the
screen, they just say "no way" and back up. (on the plus side, I will
probably editing one of the next volumes, and the condition I posed
was to use lily exclusively).

Cheers
Rodolfo

ps for David: did you receive my email?