Re: musescore lands sponsoring?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: musescore lands sponsoring?
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 06:36:52 +0200

Lucas Gonze <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 2:16 PM, Nils <address@hidden> wrote:
>> AFAIK musescore dropped Lilypond export support because of a lack of
>> interest and in favour of musicXML (whatever that means, I read it
>> somewhere on the musescore twitter account or something like this).
>> It may still work, but we can expect it to break a little more with
>> each Lilypond release.
>
> Musecore and Lilypond are both open source. A GUI would benefit
> Lilypond. There's no reason for a Lilypond person to not work on .ly
> export from the Musecore front end.

MuseScore is not a GUI for LilyPond, like LilyPond is not a frontend for
PostScript.  If it were a GUI for LilyPond, you could send a LilyPond
file to a MuseScore guy, and he would make some amendments with
MuseScore and send you back the changed LilyPond file.

There's no reason for a PostScript person to not work on .ps export from
the LilyPond front end, but that does not mean that when he tweaks some
noteheads, you can reimport those tweaks into into the original LilyPond
source.

--
David Kastrup