RE: Coda

From: Philip Thomas
Subject: RE: Coda
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 13:18:23 +0000 (GMT+00:00)

Eluze <address@hidden> wrote:

>> please be aware that the <>-\markup will only work in later 2.15 versions -
>> you
can use s1*0 here.

David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

>Huh?  <>-\markup has always worked from the time chord syntax
has been
>introduced.  The great conflict was just about whether it was a good
>idea to let users know about it.

read parts of the great controversy a while ago, as a comparative beginner,
with some bemusement. Although a beginner,
I found the need to hang \markup onto bits of nothing quite a few times, and
tried using both s1*0 and <>. Maybe it's
because I'm a singer, but chords don't seem sacrosanct to me, and "<>" looks
like a less substantial event to my eye
than does "s1*0". The psychological effect of the more substantial looking "s"
and "1" isn't somehow rendered nugatory
by the "0". Also, as a singer, something about "<>" resonates with that
wonderful piece of Victoriana, Arthur
Sullivan's "The Lost Chord", which for me, at least, adds a colorful
meta-emphasis to the insubstantial nature of a
"<>".

In my own mind (admittedly a quite lonely place, if not downright strange), I
always mentally call the thing
that the \markup is hung on a "skyhook" -- a most agreeable kind of device from
any perspective -- whatever syntax is
used to invoke it. I tried defining a variable that I acromyously called "sh".
One could of course retain the
association of the variable with skyhook, but at the same time add some color
it, with a stronger allusion to its
essentially silent nature, by writing it as "shh". I had daydreams about one or
two letters in the Greek alphabet, not
to mention the very skyhook-evoking inverted question mark (Unicode 00BF).

In the particular context I was dealing
with, I ended up wrestling with "define-markup-command" and losing the match
badly. But I still find "<>" to have more
intuitive emotional and syntactic appeal than "s1*0". A more neutral symbol
might be nice though.

Cheers, Philip