Re: clef change confuses manual key signature

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: clef change confuses manual key signature
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 18:10:36 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I needed the feature while trying to typeset some of the Mystery
>> sonatas by Biber, which are written in scordatura, i.e. a violin with
>> a non-standard tuning. In these pieces, the notation reflects how you
>> should press the fingers, not what it should sound like. Therefore,
>> the key signatures look very weird and actually do differ from octave
>> to octave, see for example Sonata III at
>> http://imslp.org/wiki/Special:ImagefromIndex/48908.
>
> Which means that you need a special key signature engraver as well as
> a special note engraver and accidental rule.  Basically, you are
> getting a sort of tablature.  LilyPond music expressions involve
> sounded pitches, and that's what comes in and out of Midi as well.

At any rate, so we have the situation "at one point of time, it was
possible to trick some version of LilyPond into typesetting scordatura.
It may or may not be the case that somebody changed some parts of
LilyPond to make this work.  Also not likely that stuff would have held
up to transposing or Midi though, or that accidentals on isoglyphs
(notes looking the same but sounding different) would behave sensibly.
Nobody bothered documenting either code or usage or otherwise make this
into a supportable feature.  Try not to break it."

Since I don't have a sledgehammer available, I'll likely go scything
now.

--
David Kastrup