Re: chords as markups?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: chords as markups?
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 09:49:24 +0200 (CEST)

> After reading the CG stuff, If you feel any info should be brought
> over to the users manual, post a patch and we can discuss it.  And,
> of course, if after reading the CG stuff is still unclear on how
> they work, lemme know.

OK, I've read it, and the concept of purity is explained well, thanks.
However, it's still not clear to me why the example works.

  . First of all, `make-XXX-stencil' seems to be completely
    undocumented.  At least I can't find those functions in the
    reference (except some unsystematic usage here and there).

  . I would expect that both `make-circle-stencil' and
    `make-filled-box-stencil' produce something which has a natural
    height.  Apparently, this isn't true.  Why?  This should be
    mentioned, otherwise the example is not really comprehensible
    IMHO.
  . Even if `make-XXX-stencil' produce objects with zero height, I
    don't understand why the layout engine ignores it.  IMHO, zero
    height is not the same as an empty stencil.

Maybe there is something else which I don't understand...

   Werner