Re: partcombine and instrumentSwitch

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: partcombine and instrumentSwitch
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 11:23:07 +0200

2012/9/14 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
> Keith OHara <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Jan-Peter Voigt <jp.voigt <at> gmx.de> writes:
>>
>>> I am using partcombine in a piece, wich makes use of instrumentSwitch.
>>> Now this leads to a stack of 4 times "piccolo" in this example.
>>
>>> Is this a bug or am I missing something?
>>> Is it maybe related to this issue 2253?
>>
>> It is different from issue 2253 because, even with multiple separate voices
>> and no use of \partcombine, we would not want multiple individual "piccolo"
>> indications.  This came up before at
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2011-11/msg00180.html
>>
>> You can use
>>
>> \layout {
>>   \context {\Voice \remove "Instrument_switch_engraver" }
>>   \context {\Staff \consists "Instrument_switch_engraver" }
>> }
>>
>> And I will post a suggestion on the bug-tracker to make this the default,
>> unless anyone here knows a reason to have instrument-change information set
>> individually for each voice.
>
> It is often a tossup whether you are better off using the partcombiner
> on voices, or just \voiceOne/\voiceTwo.  If, say, one of two oboes
> switches instruments, you just want to see this for its own voice.
>
> In fact, I find that for things like two oboes, you are almost always
> better off using separate voices.  The partcombiner is more interesting
> if you try creating a piano extract or similar, where there is only one
> executing instrument.
>
> --
> David Kastrup

But while using separate voices, LilyPond prints the instrumentCueName
twice, too.
Or did I sth wrong?

\version "2.16.0"

\addInstrumentDefinition #"piccolo"
  #`((instrumentName . "Piccolo")
     (shortInstrumentName . "Pc.")
     (instrumentCueName . "Piccolo")
     (midiInstrument . "piccolo"))

\new Staff
<<
\new Voice {
        \voiceOne
        e''2 e'' g'' a'' g''
        }
\new Voice {
        \voiceTwo
        c''2 c'' e''
        \override InstrumentSwitch #'direction = #DOWN
        \instrumentSwitch "piccolo"
        c'' c''
}

-Harm