"Parallel music view" - inspiration for LilyPond editors.

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: "Parallel music view" - inspiration for LilyPond editors.
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 10:53:23 +0200

Hi,

one of the things that i find inconvenient in reading Lily syntax is
its sequential nature.  For example,

<<
  {
    a4 b c d
    e f g a
    e a g f
  }
  {
     e4 a g f
     c2 e
     d8 c f4 d2
  }

it's hard to read the harmonies from the code, because voices are separate.
I know about \parallelMusic, but it has weaknesses:
- music cannot be easily copied and pasted (unless you copy whole measures)
- it requires effort to maintain the alignment,
- it is not feasible to write longer fragments this way (e.g. whole piece)
- when there is a lot of overrides, articulations etc, it becomes
not-so-effective in my opinion.

What about editors like Frescobaldi having the ability to convert
"regular lilypond" to "horizontal scroll" and back?  E.g. the code
above would be displayed as (view using monospace font):

<<
  { a4 b  c  d  e  f  g  a  e    a   g  f  }

  { e4 a  g  f  c2    e     d8 c f4  d2    }

I think it would be absolutely awesome.  And i'm willing to pay $50
for implementing thist in Frescobaldi!

What do you think?  Will you add some amount to the bounty, so that it
will be easier for Wilbert to find time to add this? ;)
Janek