Re: Supporting LilyPond development financially

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Supporting LilyPond development financially
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 14:22:28 +0100

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> writes:

> Werner LEMBERG writes:
>
>>> And it is not like there is 100% approval on the stuff I do.
>>
>> I think that there is 100% approval that you *do* such a huge amount
>> of work.  And you should be payed for that IMHO.
>
> From my pov, I very much see David==global cause.  With David, LilyPond
> has one full time developer, almost.

It is not really "almost", and I am not easily interchangeable as there
are some things I am pretty good at, and some things I am pretty bad at.
So if there was enough money to go around, I'd recommend not getting
another David for it but rather looking for someone with a different
skill (and deficiency) set.

> What we --hopefully very soon-- need to solve, is what happens when
> David receives more money, monthly, than he `needs' to truly commit
> himself.

Let's worry about that when the situation arises.  I don't see that
happening without finding a fundamentally different source of financing.
With the current model I don't see cost/benefit distributed in a really
satisfactory way.

> It would be a pity if donations would then drop again to a `must only
> barely sustain David' level; much rather I would like to a way to keep
> donations/funds increasing and get another developer on board.

Well, "cannot even barely sustain two developers" does not sound like a
huge step forward in sustainability.  So one step after the other.

--
David Kastrup