Re: lyrics to music

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: lyrics to music
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 17:54:24 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kieren MacMillan" <address@hidden>
To: "Fr. Michael Gilmary, mma" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 5:12 PM

Hi!

when setting lyrics to music, is it ever acceptable to join eighth notes across syllables or even across words?

As both singer and conductor, I can say without qualification that it is better to join the beams (i.e., beam according to the beat structure, like every other instrument). It's definitely easier (and thus faster) to sight read and teach/direct.

Hope this helps!
Kieren.

I only sing, but I find beamed notes more difficult to sing from - the rhythm of the bars is less important to me than aligning the syllable to the correct note.

--
Phil Holmes