Re: roman numerals

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: roman numerals
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 17:35:53 -0600

Hi Curt,

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 5:10 PM, Curt <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm just curious what other jazz-lead-sheet use cases that the current
> snippet might not be sufficient for?  That might help with making a good
> feature request.  :-)  I've long thought that using roman numerals would
> be a good spruced up "nashville notation" for helping jazz session musicians
> learn/play a tune in any key.  So far it seems like the snippet will
> do anything I want, but I haven't really pushed it.

I was thinking of chords like a Cm7b9 and the like.  There's no
provision for typesetting the flat within the superscript.  You could
do something like this:

\markup \rN { "Cm" \concat { 7 \hspace #0.5 \raise #0.5 \flat 5 } }

So in that sense it works, but it's no timesaver.

This capability could be added, but I always figured that LilyPond's
chord features are more appropriate for this type of symbol.  (After
all, her names are responsive to transposition, which isn't an issue
with Roman numerals.)

-David