Re: installing 2.16 and keeping 2.14?

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: installing 2.16 and keeping 2.14?
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 18:56:00 +0100

2012/12/23 Jay Hamilton <address@hidden>:
> Ok I can put it in a different directory (I'm pretty sure) but your
> 'depends' makes me leary that it's not straight forward in the  running.
> At the moment all I do and have done for years is create a piece in an
> editor save it to a folder click on file in the folder.
> If I have to do something else .... what is that?
> Thanks for the start.
> Jay

Hi Jay,

I've only 6 versions on my laptop.
Most of them in my home-directory.
To distuingish them, I renamed the folder and the programm (to be
found in <folder-name>/usr/bin) and created shortcuts for the
different programs.
These shortcuts are per default found in /home/bin:
among them `lilypond´.
I pasted renamed files and changed the pathes.

So I've
the folder `lilypond-2-14-2´ containing the program `lilypond-2-14-2´
to be called with `lilypond 2-14-2´
the folder `lilypond´ (the current stable) containing the program
`lilypond´ to be called with `lilypond´
the folder `lilydevel´ (the latest devel-version) containing the
grogram `lily-devel´ to be called with `lily-devel´

There might be better methods but it works.

In addition I've some other versions without shortcuts. If I want to
use them, I've to call them with there full path.
Example: I call a self-compililed 2.15.40 version (from a deep nested
other folder) with :
../../../../lilypond-2.15.40/build/out/bin/lilypond <file-name.ly>

"Calling them" means using the Terminal:
Navigating to the directory containing the file you want to compile
and than calling the program you want to use.

IIUC, you never used the terminal.
So I see only two ways for you
(1)
Learn how to use the terminal.
(2)
Use Frescobaldi.
There you have the possibility to install other versions quite easily.
Well, I don't like Frescobaldi, but there are many people which use it.
I can't give advice for Frescobaldi, though. I've installed an old
version and use it rarely.

HTH,
  Harm