Re: Guide to Writing Orchestral Scores with Lilypond?????

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Guide to Writing Orchestral Scores with Lilypond?????
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 00:44:19 +0100

Am 10.01.2013 23:19, schrieb Joseph Rushton Wakeling:

If you truly want to spend a few hours writing letters to
publishers, I would be interested to hear the results.

Happy to do so. If Urs can get permission for his bars of Schoenberg from UE, I don't see that it will be a problem for other works.

Just evading your controversy I'd like to sum up my communication with UE on this matter. While it isn't anything spectaular it may be interesting as a 'real world' example.

I sent an email asking for the permission to use the four measures 'as examples for a notation tutorial which I would publish on my homepage'. I attached the pdf of my lilypond score (not the scan from the UE score).

The reply was quite simple:
'We give you the permission to show the music examples on your homepage. This doesn't imply any further use, which is not allowed.' (Followed by the copyright remark to be used.

So strictly speaking they didn't explicitely allow me to publish source code to reproduce the music.
And nothing was said about the terms under which I should distribute it.
Also nothing was said about the scan vs. new typesetting issue.

Bottom line: They didn't make very explicit statements, but they probably don't really care about the case. From a pragmatical perspective this comes quite close to 'fair use' (although it probably isn't).

Urs