Re: Bar lines

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: Bar lines
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2013 20:16:10 +0100

Am 06.03.2013 17:47, schrieb Janek Warchoł:
Hi all,

i was very surprised by Marc's suggestion to revert his barline
interface commit.  I'm pretty sure that everyone regards Marc's (and
Harm's) work in this area as very valuable and noone thinks of
deleting it at all!
I am a bit disappointed that the discussion about \bar ":|."
rises half a year after the patch went through the revision
process.

What I see are two issues:

a) should we change the character that produces thick barline from .
to something else?  Personally i've never liked this design choice, so
i'd be interested in making a simple poll on users- list with various
options including . I = B U O 0 1 or whatever else may be reasonable.
Note that this issue is completely independent from Marc's new bar
line interface.
David pointed out the the dot is normally used as a end-of-sentence marker,
so it is not ideal as a thick bar line glyph. I remember that we discussed
the use of a capital I here, but without finding a conclusion.

b) should we define aliases for repeat barlines?  I.e. make \bar ":|"
a shorthand for \bar ":|." for the sake of user friendliness.  My
opinion is as follows: if repeat barlines "|:" ":|" (only dots and
thin line, no thick line at all) aren't used in engraving practice
(and i guess they aren't), lets make such an alias and mention it in
the docs.   User can always override it.
The basic idea behind the bar line interface based on Harm's
work, and I like the idea of having a 1:1 representation of the
bar line stringwise.
But if anyone wants to implement aliases, go ahead.

I'd rather see lilyponds input structure being optimized. The
\repeat construct doesnt allow for d'al segno, da capo and stuff
like that.
As I mentioned elsewhere, I seldom use the repeat sign explicitely,
I try to get along with \repeat volta. Moreover, I find it very annoying
to end every piece with an explicit \bar "|." I'd like to see that lilypond
ends a piece with "|." by default – in the rare cases where I need a
different ending bar line, I would code \bar "|" or \bar "||" or whatever.

If lily would offer a better way to _structurize_ music, this discussion
would be rather academic.

Marc