Re: Excellent paper on 'Copyfraud'

From: Henning Hraban Ramm
Subject: Re: Excellent paper on 'Copyfraud'
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 13:46:47 +0100

Am 2013-03-09 um 12:50 schrieb David Kastrup:

>> It's exactly these things: articulations, editorial annotations,
>> expressive marks, that are under frequently copyright.
>
> Also the actual image.

Only in some legislations, e.g. not in Germany, Switzerland and Austria (DACH),
but e.g. in the UK, AFAIK.

Keyword "sweat of the brow" - it’s not a piece of art, but of handicraft (you
may call that an art, too...)

> It's probably safest to start from an "Urtext".

... as long as you're not sure about the legislation of your publication.

> Now those go to a lot of pain to create a canonical version from
> possibly conflicting manuscripts, and that is a lot of work, too.  But
> it's not creative expression and thus should not be copyrightable
> content.  Naturally I am not a lawyer, and you should remember that with
> a host of lawyers at the disposal of publishing houses, being in the
> right is only able to moderately tilt the balance of a court case
> outcome anyway, and even winning it may lead to your bankruptcy.

Indeed.

> If more people refused to say "I agree" to completely outrageous
> conditions, maybe the legal departments of publishers would start
> reining their drug usage in somewhat.

:-)

Greetlings, Hraban
---