Re: Proposed new available and recommended behavior of \relative

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: Proposed new available and recommended behavior of \relative
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 12:49:31 -0500

On Mar 9, 2013, at 4:47 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> So that's the next step: opening the door on \relative { } again, or rather a
> different door with the same door handle.

Interesting discussion.  I like the new/proposed behavior for \relative { ... }
 (without reference pitch), and would probably use it myself.

As someone mentioned, it might be helpful to explain things in the docs
something like the following:  If there is no explicit reference pitch, the
first note defaults to being relative to f (or else the middle note of the
current scale if the scale has been changed).  And also say that this happens
to correspond with seeing the first pitch as written in absolute notation (as a
quick way of determining the pitch of the first note).  So both ways of looking
at it work.  (Am I understanding this right?)

That would address concerns about the perception of mixing absolute and
relative notation inside the { ... }.

OTOH, it is pretty straightforward to say that the first note after \relative
is interpreted in absolute terms as a starting point / reference pitch for
subsequent notes, whether it is inside or outside of the { ... }.

> Then there are two more questions:
>
> a) should the LilyPond codebase walk through that door?

I would say yes.  But seems like there is another question:

a2) should \relative { ... }  be the default/recommended approach as presented
in the docs?

I'm leaning slightly towards yes on this, but it's probably worth sitting with
it for a bit.

> b) should convert-ly make user code walk through that door once?

Hmmm...  If people have been using an explicit reference pitch, nothing changes
in that case.  So it's just if they have *not* been using one (which has been
deprecated, right?) that convert-ly will need to either

1) possibly change the octave of the first pitch inside { ... }
2) possibly add an explicit reference pitch.

I'm not sure which is better, and maybe this is getting ahead of ourselves.

On Mar 9, 2013, at 5:40 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> a) stop any further use of the current \relative { ... }
>   That's issue 3231.
> b) Implement new proposed behavior for \relative { ... }.
>   That's the ly/music-functions-init.ly part of issue 3229.
> c) give this proposed behavior equal coverage in the passages talking
>   about absolute and relative pitches in Learning and Notation.
>   Impact: a handful of paragraphs.
> d) wait and see.

Sounds good.

-Paul