Re: Frescobaldi install (was: final score)

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: Frescobaldi install (was: final score)
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 11:23:20 -0500

On Mar 10, 2013, at 4:45 AM, Janek Warchoł wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 12:38 AM, Tim McNamara <address@hidden> wrote:
>> My last attempt to install it on my Mac to run in an X11 window resulted in
>> literally hundreds of things being downloaded by MacPorts- dependencies for
>> the dependencies for the dependencies in what seemed to be nearly infinite
>> recursion- before it could be installed.  I gave up as it became just
>> ridiculous.  Another list member pointed me to a Mac .app version but that
>> was broken and unusable.  Oh well... I'll keep using TextWrangler as my text
>> editor and Preview as my PDF reader, which works fine.
>
> I'm sorry that you have such problems.  If i were you, i'd just
> install some Linux in a Virtual Machine (it's not difficult) and
> install Frescobaldi there.  I conisder Frescobaldi to be much too
> useful not to have it - in fact, i don't remember anymore how
> lilyponding w/o Frescobaldi looked like!

Mac OS X is a POSIX-compliant OS under the Mac surface already.  Installing
another OS like a GNU/Linux should not be necessary.  But Mac-land is a very,
very different philosophy than GNU/Linux-land in terms of how application
design is implemented.  The standard is that applications are self-contained
and not dependent on the installation of other software and libraries to run
(beyond what is already provided in the Mac OS distribution by default).  For
example, using things like Qt to provide a GUI just isn't done; the interface
is built into the application package using the various Apple SDKs and mostly
Objective-C.  There are upsides and downsides to each approach.  The GNU/Linux
approach makes for many smaller downloads and independent development and
upgrading of libraries, toolkits, etc.; the Mac approach makes for a cleaner
and simpler end-user experience that "just works" without fuss and muss.

There is a simple Mac app called "LilyEditor" by Marc Mouries which was at 0.6.
 It covers a bit of the same ground as Frescobaldi although not nearly as full
featured.  I don't believe that it is under active development, however.