Re: \relative proposal: putting absolute pitches anywhere within \relati

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: \relative proposal: putting absolute pitches anywhere within \relative block using @-sign
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 11:13:35 +0100

Hi,

please be careful with using caps.

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 8:24 PM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
> Why a new syntax?  I frequently find that if I jump to the end of a big, long
> \relative { ... }, then frequently I don't remember which octave I'm in.

Maybe using Frescobaldi would solve this problem for you?  In
Frescobaldi, you can easily just look at the pitch in the compiled
score to know what octave you're in.  Also, you can easily convert
between relative and absolute.

> What do people think?

I don't like it, sorry.
Also,

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 9:24 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> Not a winner to me.  I would not want to spend a potentially useful
> extension character like @ on something that does not appear to offer
> anything new.

+100
@ is one of the very few special characters that we have still
available.  I think there are better ways to use it.

cheers,
Janek