musicxml2ly enhancements

From: Jacques Menu
Subject: musicxml2ly enhancements
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 08:01:17 +0200

Hello folks,

I've been experimenting with Sibelius 7.1.3 as a front-end to Lily, i.e. as a
note input engine.

This lead me to fix some issues in musicxml2ly:
        - the comment bar number at the end of regular lines is one too much;
        - it's missing when a \ barNumberCheck is present;
        - musicxml2ly crashes if there's no title specified in the XML file.

The first two points are important to me since they help locating the guilty
lines (it's cumbersome to have to do the math each time you switch from an
error message to the .ly file).

The experience is positive by the way, since Lily will pin-point errors not
detected by Sibelius.

Compare the 2.16.2 original with the modified version used on the attached file:

<     \clef "treble" \key c \major \numericTimeSignature\time 4/4
<     \pageBreak a4 ( a4 ) ( b4 ) d4 | % 2
<     \key c \major a4 ( a4 ) ( b4 ) d4 | % 3
<     a4 ( a4 ) ( b4 ) d4 | % 4
<     g1 | % 5
<     a,4 ( a4 ) ( b4 ) d4 | % 6
<     g1 \break | % 7
<     a,4 ( a4 ) ( b4 ) d4 | % 8
<     g1 | % 9
<     a,4 ( a4 ) ( b4 ) d4 | \barNumberCheck #10
<     g1 | % 11
<     a,4 ( a4 ) ( b4 ) d4 | % 12
---
>     \clef "treble" \key c \major \numericTimeSignature\time 4/4 a4 ( a4
>     ) ( b4 ) d4 | % 1
>     \key c \major a4 ( a4 ) ( b4 ) d4 | % 2
>     a4 ( a4 ) ( b4 ) d4 | % 3
>     g1 | % 4
>     a,4 ( a4 ) ( b4 ) d4 | % 5
>     g1 | % 6
>     a,4 ( a4 ) ( b4 ) d4 | % 7
>     g1 | % 8
>     a,4 ( a4 ) ( b4 ) d4 | % 9
>     g1 | \barNumberCheck #11 % 10
>     a,4 ( a4 ) ( b4 ) d4 | % 11

I could spend time on the TODOs mentioned in the code, hence my question: is
there work going on on musicxml2ly, and if so, can I contribute to it?

Hope this helps!

Jacques Menu
Ch. de la Pierre 12
1023 Crissier