Re: getting error already have slur in my compilation

From: Wim van Dommelen
Subject: Re: getting error already have slur in my compilation
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 10:18:29 +0200

Hi Sarah,

The transpose looks much better now! Good. But in the trumpet you still made a mistake in the order. When you use both \relative and a \transpose, do it like this:

trumpetMusic =
\transpose c' d { \relative c' { \key g \major
\repeat volta 2 {
\partial r8 |

then all music is entered in concert pitch and in relative mode and the whole lot is also transposed. Note that I also put in a \partial 8 for the first 1/8. That is an upbeat with a rest, but LilyPond has to be told! Then the last barchecks will go away. That happens in line: 122, 135, 143, 268, etc. Everywhere you have the upbeat LilyPond will complain when the measure don't add up to the 12/8.

The octave-problems:

- Violin I, line 269: I don't know which chord you want and which melody. I mean at which pitch it should be. But I guess the notes go down after the first chord and that is due to the fact you start with a d' (in the upbeat), go down to g, for the chord and after the chord the next d should be going higher again, so that should be a d'. For the next chord you've already gone down to the g, so the g, takes you down once again and that pattern continues.
I now have this complete line 269:
<g, d b g>4 d'8 b a g <g d b g>4 d'8 b a g|

Octave jumps with chords is always difficult, but my rule of thumb is to look at the first note of the chord in these cases and have that in the melody line with going up (') or going down (,) where needed, the other notes in the chord will mostly follow. So work through the violin I in this order.

- Bassoon, line 143, I guess that should be a r2 at the beginning of the line, because the repeat ends here and a new upbeat starts here

- Bassoon, line 145: you are still in relative mode, so having notes every time a little bit higher sweeps you up. At some point you need to go down, I removed the ' after the a and put a , after the last d, also in the next line. That keeps it in range. But you have to decide what is the good point of going up or down in your melody.

I have to go now, will come back later....

Regards,
Wim.