Re: picking up/down symbols in flatpicking guitar

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: picking up/down symbols in flatpicking guitar
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 00:36:10 +0200

2013/6/10 Federico Bruni <address@hidden>:
> Hi Harm
>
> thanks for reviewing the snippet

Approved as
http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=879

> 2013/6/9 Thomas Morley <address@hidden>
>>
>> 2013/6/8 Thomas Morley <address@hidden>:
>>
>> > If I have more time I take a look.
>>
>> Hi Federico,
>>
>> there's one point not clear to me:
>> What does \arrUp mean regarding the strike-direction?
>>
>> As an example I use a chord (see attached png)
>> Striking a chord
>> 1.) from the lowest pitch up to the topmost or
>> 2.) the opposite?
>>
>> I remember seeing both in printed editions.
>> From your coding I believe you mean 2.), though I'd vote always for 1.)
>> Maybe it might be good to clearify it with an amended example.
>>

> Yes, I mean 2.
> Think it visually, it's not related  to pitches but just direction of the
> strikes: if flatpick is moving up, e.g. from first to second string, I need
> an arrow up.
> All the flatpicking scores I have use this notation.
[...]
> Is it more clear now?

Well, in classical Guitar-scores the strike-direction is _always_
related to the pitches.
↑ means from bottom-pitch up to top-pitch. Always. I'm not aware of
any exception.

In notated Flamenco-guitar-music the same.

Only in guitar-music to be played with a pick it's the opposite.
This inconsistency is disturbing.

Though, not a reason to not approve your snippet. :)

Cheers,
  Harm