Re: Cut and paste from manual returns errors

From: DW
Subject: Re: Cut and paste from manual returns errors
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 09:47:21 -0700 (PDT)

I am more than happy to volunteer, and I realise that it is easy to point
these things out but much harder to actually fix them.

http://lilypond.org/manuals.html
...is next to useless is you are looking for anything but the simplest
implementations.

The divisions are not really sensible.

I already mentioned barlines, so let me mention something else. Say,
noteheads.

If I am looking for a way to separate a notehead from its stem, how would I
go about finding this information?

First step, according to the advice here is the manual index. But which
manual do I choose? The obvious one (to someone who doesn't know anything
else) is "Notation", because that's what I'm trying to do.

Great! This looks promising. I scroll down the lefthand menu and find
something that vaguely resmebles what I am trying to achieve:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/notation/note-head-styles.

Nope.

Spacing? Nope.

Now I am starting to get worried, I try opening up a couple of ones that
look promising. Nope.

Back to http://lilypond.org/manuals.html. Try snippets.

Scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll
scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll. Nope.

Open browser menu, type stem. Repeat step above. Nope.

Back to homepage. Search for "moving stem away from notehead" and related
terms, open 50 browser windows.

Scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll
scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll. Nope.

Open browser menu, type stem. Repeat step above. Nope.

Go to Google. Type in "move stem away from notehead lilypond help" and
variations thereof.

Find forums.

Get told to go to http://lilypond.org/manuals.html.....

You can understand why this would frustrate the average user, while the
information I was looking for should have been filed under "stuff you can do
to stems". Because stem (and notehead) is the music notation concept we are
dealing with here.

In fact, I still don't know how to find the answer to this particular
question (although I am pretty sure I have seen that it can be done),
perhaps you can enlighten as to the proper search procedure I should have
followed?