Re: Comparing LilyPond with Sibelius, Finale, Musescore etc

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Comparing LilyPond with Sibelius, Finale, Musescore etc
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 23:20:46 +0200

I have been compiling some examples of LilyPond's typesetting compared
with those of well-known alternatives:

http://denemo.org/CompareScorewriters

If anyone can provide better examples - these are just taken from
published work that I could find with a quick search - then please let
me know - especially if I am not doing LilyPond justice.
My examples have a common origin in MusicXML files, but there may be
some other way of standardizing the comparisons (short of re-typing
music examples...).

Richard
It's nice to have these comparisons, but I have a couple of comments:
- You should specify what the version number of the respective programs. Several of the similar comparisons that have been discussed earlier on the list, have been based on fairly old versions of Finale and Sibelius, which may be unfair. - I really like that you point out that you are not fully certain how much tweaking was used in the original typesettings, but it would of course be even better to have example where you have this knowledge. If you search the mailing list archives, you should find several examples of similar comparisons and at least one or two of these included a fairly detailed comparison of the amount of tweaking that was needed for the different programs. - In the Sibelius comparison, it's really a pity that you didn't include the correct lyrics. The alignment and layout of lyrics is clearly an important issue in music typesetting, so I don't agree with the comment that these are not important. In particular, it's a pity that they dummy lyrics you have inserted for the Denemo/LilyPond version doesn't use correct hyphens, i.e.
Lo -- rem ip -- sum
instead of
Lo- rem ip- sum
for example. The current example gives the false impression that Denemo/LilyPond isn't able to handle hyphens correctly.

Regards

    /Mats

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing