Re: Henle piano template

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Henle piano template
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2013 00:28:05 +0200

Am 05.08.2013 21:27, schrieb David Kastrup:

Hello all,

I have found some images of Henle's Moonlight Sonata.
Old edition: http://www.ackermanmusic.co.uk/img/P/412339_1.jpg
And the new one (from 2013):
http://www.di-arezzo.com/multimedia/images/henle/part/hn1062.jpg
Same publishing house, but so many differences :)
Is there a preferred one for our purposes here?
 From 2013 does not sound like plate engraving.  Plate engraving has some
disadvantages (you need to make a lot of decisions early and then let
the engraving stick with it).  We are not really interested in mimicking
those things that are a downside of plate engraving, and of course there
is little sense in adapting techniques/styles for which we don't have
the algorithmic consequences under control.

But in general, we are more interested in the inspiration by state of
the art plate engraving rather than state of the art computer engraving,
since LilyPond wants to be a frontrunner in computer engraving.

I think both these points are very good.

Trying to have a closer look at the images (which are unfortunately of such poor quality) I'm probably biased but I find the appearance of the 'old' score infinitely superior. While the 'new' Henle score is undoubtedly much better than a default Finale score it _is_ having this 'computer engraving appeal' we all want to overcome. While the old one is a model one can use as a challenge I would say the new one doesn't look as nice as a LilyPond score.

My 2ct
Urs