Re: Problem with hemiola notation

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Problem with hemiola notation
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 02:58:30 +0200

2013/9/17 Alan McConnell <address@hidden>:
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 12:50:54AM +0200, Janek Warchoł wrote:

>> >       Nothing easier!  Here it is [...]
>>
>> Nothing easier!  Here the second barline disappears (tested with
>> 2.16.2 and 2.17.26)
>          <LOL>  You are absolutely right!  However:  try this
>          "extract"
>
> (start)--------------------------
> % experiment-3.ly  --  This file is about bar lines
> %  and will be posted to the lilypond list
> \version "2.16.0"
>
> \header {
>   title = "A Jazzy 3/4 Tune!"
> }
>
> %  Put some vertical space here!
> \markup { \vspace #1 }
>
> global =  {
>   \key g \major
>   \time 3/4
> }
>

> violinOne = \new Voice \relative c'' {
>   \set Staff.instrumentName = #"Violin 1 "
>
> d4. e8 d c | b4 g g4. \bar ""  a8 d,4 d | b' g g \bar "|."
>
> }
>
> %  Challenge:  to get rid of the barline between  g g4. and a8 d,  !
>

> \score {
>         \new Staff
>         << \global \violinOne
>         >>
> }
>
> \layout { }
>

>                                  ------------------------(finish)
>
> There is something Weird and Strange going on here

Not really.
The Problem is that the BarLine happens while the note continues.
Every command initiated after said note will come too late. And every
command before the note, preceeded with \once, will not affect the
BarLine. It is set too early.
To circumvent it, all I can think of is to use some \override -
\revert before and after the note.

Below I use a function to apply these commands to the note, showing a
drastically simplified example.

\version "2.16.0"

noBarLineAfterNote =
#(define-music-function (parser location m)(ly:music?)
#{
  \override Staff.BarLine #'stencil = ##f
  #m
  \revert Staff.BarLine #'stencil
#})

\relative c'' {
      c2
      \noBarLineAfterNote
      c1
      c2
}

> (For Thomas
> Morley: "Sea Nymphs hourly ring his knell ... ding(dotted) dong bell!)

:)

"When shall we three (quavers) meet again?"

> Alan
>
> --
> Alan McConnell :  http://globaltap.com/~alan/
>     An idea is not responsible for the people who believe in it.
>     If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.

Cheers,
  Harm