Re: Discussion: automatic engraving and single-source publishing

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Discussion: automatic engraving and single-source publishing
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 18:00:28 +0100

2013/11/26 Carl Sorensen <address@hidden>:
> My "complex versioning strategy" (as Urs correctly called it) is to put
> the music in a git repository, with a branch for content, and then a
> separate branch for each edition.  The branches for each edition are
> maintained to be one commit away from the content branch.  I would then
> have a makefile with targets for each edition:
>
> A4:
>         git checkout a4_branch
>         lilypond myScore
>
> beamer:
>         git checkout beamer_branch
>         lilypond myScore
>
> It's more complex than having a single file that can be correctly
> processed by lilypond, but it's doable with today's tools.

I was thinking about this, too.  But the problem that i see is that
this strategy requires rebasing often, i.e. commits with layout tweaks
need to be rebased on top of musical content commits every time a
correction/change to the content is added.

Rebasing so often is problematic, especially when you're collaborating
with someone.

best,
Janek