Re: still no ultimate way to create three-staff piano layout

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: still no ultimate way to create three-staff piano layout
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 09:42:56 -0800

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 01:07:35 -0800, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

Keith OHara <address@hidden> writes:

The StaffGrouper, that makes different spacing at the end of a group, is
created by the Vertical_align_engraver (despite what the manual says) so
if you remove the Vertical_align_engraver form the PianoStaff, only the
enclosing StaffGroup will have the appearance of a group.

Does that mean that the patch pushed in
<URL:http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=3641#c7> (why
has the issue been reopened instead of creating a new one for the
documentation) is incomplete?  The effect of the patch should be that
nested "Vertical_align_engraver"s behave as if the inner engravers have
been removed altogether.

Vertical_align_engraver makes the start braces around, and adjusts spacing
between, the staves it contains.  We do sometimes want a GrandStaff (Flute 1
and 2) inside a StaffGroup (woodwinds) and in those cases want both
Vertical_align_engravers to be active and drawing their braces.

Karol had a special case, here, where he did *not* want the inner
Vertical_align_engraver doing its job.

David, you might have confused the jobs of Vertical_align_engraver (draws start
braces, etc.) and Axis_group_engraver (arranges notes, etc. on to lines of
music).  I'll comment on your patch so you can check that it does what you
meant to at the time.