Re: Survey: Git (G)UIs

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: Survey: Git (G)UIs
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 18:34:46 +0100

2014/1/6 Urs Liska <address@hidden>:
> Hi all Git users,
>
> I'd like to make a survey on how you are working with Git.
>
> Do you use the command line exclusively, or a GUI (which one(s))?
> Or a GUI for certain tasks and the command line for others?
>
> I'd be particularly interested in reports of successful or failed
> attempts to learn Git by starting with a GUI tool. I have a strong
> opinion that one should use the command line until one has a good
> understanding of the concepts, but I'd be interested in any differing
> experiences.

After having used git on command line for a time and gitk for
visualizing and searching, I gave git-gui a try for real operations
such as adding, committing or pulling and I couldn't. It was like
hitting a wall. I think most used commands were not put in logical
places on menus and using it happened to be very slow for me because I
never was able to remember where to find a command.

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org , www.csmbadajoz.com